Skip to content
Some useful ones
- NCBI PubMed Step one for biotech research.
- HelioBLAST Nice tool to search PubMed abstracts using text similarity algorithm quite different from NCBI. Inspired by the BLAST sequence alignment tool.
- UCSC Genome Browser Navigate around the genome, discovering and annotating as you go.
- Biostars Bulletin board for hands-on bioinformatics solutions.
- Stack Overflow Bulletin board for software questions and answers of all kinds.
- The Hitchhikers Guide to Python Resource starting point for best practices with Python.
More for fun (some favorites)
- Bo Jensen’s Fragrance chemistry page Beautiful site listing smelly things (like spices and flowers) and the molecules responsible.
- True Size Of Interactive tool to overlap maps. Ever ask How does California’s shape compare to the UK?
- ACME mapper My favorite site for shaded topographic maps (limited to US).
- Google Correlate Amazing what patterns can be found in all Google’s data.
- Coursera You’re never too old to learn new things. (Maybe this belongs in the ‘useful’ list?)